Scholarship Search and Seizure
Today we get to cultivate your ability to locate and win scholarships! In today’s economy money is hard to come by. It stands to reason then, that free money would be even more difficult to win. Well I have good news; that simply is not the case. Even though the stock market cannot decide whether it wants to be up or down and some might say the economy is in a recession, people still need to get an education and as long as people still need education, there will still be scholarships.
Scholarships come in all shapes and sizes. They range from small grants ranging from $100 to help cover the costs of books, to scholarships that will cover a student’s entire cost of attendance. Millions of organizations sponsor scholarships totaling billions of dollars each year.
The key questions are: “How to find these scholarships?” and then ‘How to win these scholarships?”
I have compiled a list of tips and pointers that I think may be very beneficial when searching for and winning scholarships.
Here are the tips:
· Start Early!!! Almost every scholarship has a deadline and many scholarships give priority to applications submitted early.
· Compile a list of accomplishments, awards, professional experience, education credentials, and volunteer organizations. Having this list handy will save you hours during the application process as nearly every application will ask for this information
· Be aggressive. Scholarships are designed to reward deserving and persistent students who are willing to “do what it takes” to further their education. A scholarship committee is not impressed by a “less than your best” effort. Plan accordingly!
· Identify and contact at least three people who would be willing to write an impressive recommendation letter on your behalf.
· Apply for every scholarship for which you are eligible. You never know what somebody else may see in you. Remember scholarships are available for almost every facet of student life and education.
· Follow Up! Don’t let your scholarship application slip through the cracks. Scholarship committees will also appreciate the dedication you show in your future endeavors.
· Be organized! This is a great time to hone your organizational skills. Make sure to keep track of all deadlines, signatures, recommendation letters, and any necessary follow-up questions from a scholarship organization.
· Don’t underestimate the importance of applying for scholarships. After all, a successful scholarship search could land you with a free ride and money to spare! How’s that for motivation!!